Preparing for the Interview [Principals]
by Bob Thompson
- Have a clear vision of job future
- What is my ultimate job goal?
- Does this job take me in that direction
- Am I willing to pay the price (before and after) for pursuing this course?
- Be informed about the new position I am considering:
- Performance of institution
- Climate in which institution is expected to perform
- Background of decision-makers i.e. what they value, their agenda, etc and what kind of decision-makers they are (i.e. thinker/feeler)
- Have a bold plan that includes steps to insure accountability and advance the institution.
- Accountability of the people who will be working for you.
- Program Accountability through:
- Increased Recruitment/Retention
- Fiscal viability
- Long range study of graduates
- Increase in Non-traditional Funding (e.g grants, entrepreneural efforts, gifts, etc.
- Builds on the strengths of the institution by strengthens core programs, establishes establishing lighthouse program(s) that bring recognition and distinction to the university.
- Be prepared for the interview
(See “The Interview” handout.)
- Information to be included/not included.
- Order/sequence of information.
- Listing references
- Note of appreciation